Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Out of the oven and into the freezer.

Having such a blast decided not to come home....

Just kidding.

Reason #1 to come home, we missed Isaac and were desperate to see him.

This is my last blog post for this trip.

After a few awesome days in Saigon, we slowed down the pace at Mui Ne, ocean front resort for the lazy (or the kite-surfing crazed of which we are not). For a few days after the hectic pace of travelling we relaxed with swimming, reading, sleeping, eating and oh-do-you-believe-it drinking beer with very little motivation to see the local sites. Just too plain knackered. Also, we were upgraded to the penthouse suit.......oooh la de daaa. Very nice surprise so extra motivation to be slobs.


BBQ Crocodile anyone? Anyone?


View from the penthouse.

In the pool. 


Amazing storm cloud.


Gained a new appreciation for NZ beaches, the ones in Vietnam being just a bit grubby, the water warm and cloudy, and the system of rent-a-recliner before you can sit down just a tad too pain-in-the-arsey.  Missing my peaceful walks on Omaha beach (reason #2 to come home).

Spent one final day in Saigon before leaving Vietnam. Topped up on last minute shopping, a last bowl of Pho Bo, a final wander around the crowded streets. I cried in the taxi on the way to the airport. And I nearly cried when we paid $18 AUS dollars for 3 flat whites at the airport.

Propoganda style posters


Street vendor

Unfortunately one day you have to return to your own reality, which today means winter in NZ. Cold, raining and dark here in my house today, very different to the hot and humid conditions in Vietnam. The other day I had just about enough of sweat dripping down my spine and into my butt crack. Today I am regretting that thought as I down hot soup in front of the heater.

Che Guevarra rocks the cone hat.

Would I go back to Vietnam. You betcha! It's taught me a lot about humility, about patience and gratitude. I felt privileged to be there, overwhelmed by the peaceful friendly attitude of the people, and happy to have found new friends in my travel companions.

Then again, Mexico sounds pretty cool...............













No comments:

Post a Comment